Mikael Purne MD
Knee & Hip Reconstruction
Medical Training and Experience:
Dr. Purne began his medical studies in Europe. After graduating from high school in Helsinki, Finland, Dr. Purne moved to southern Spain where he completed medical school in the historical city of Granada. During the summers, he worked to obtain his medical license in Finland. After finishing compulsory military service, he was granted a stipend to study orthopaedics at the University of Madrid Hospital.
His desire to further his training brought him to the United States for residency in general surgery in Connecticut. However, he had his mind set on orthopaedics and he went to Boston to complete orthopaedic surgical training at Tufts University affiliated hospitals.
He moved to California in 1987 where he opened his practice.
Dr. Purne practices general orthopaedics, with a special interest in joint replacement surgery. Recent advances such as MIS, gender-specific knees, high-flex knees, rotating platform knees, and computer-assisted surgery for hips and knees are part of his armamentarium.
He is fluent in Finnish, Swedish and Spanish. During his free time, he enjoys tennis skiing and coaching his son in all sports.
Postgraduate Medical Training (United States)
- UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI/JACKSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL MIAMI,FLORIDA 33136, 305-585-1111
- Cardia-Thoracic Surgery, January 1981- May 1981 G.A. Kaiser, MD., head of department
- UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT/ ST. FRANCIS HOSPITAL HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT 06015, 860-714-4000 Surgical Resident, July 1981- December, 1982
- BOSTON UNIVERSITY BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02118,617-638-5633 Surgical Resident, January 1983 – December 1983
- Six months of Orthopaedics at WESSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, Springfield, MA, with Dr. Leon Kruger as chief
- BAYSTATE MEDICAL CENTER TUFTS UNIVERSITY 413-794-0000
- Six months of general surgery at CARNEY HOSPITAL, Boston.
- 2100 DORCHESTER DORCHESTER, MASSACHUSETTS 02120, 617-296-4000
- TUFTS UNIVERSITY-NEW ENGLAND MEDICAL CENTER BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02111, 617-636-5268
- Orthopaedic Resident, January 1984- December, 1986
- Chief Resident, July 1986- December 1986
- Dr. Seymour Zimbler, head of department
Postgraduate Medical Training, (Europe)
- CENTRAL UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL OF HELSINKI Helsinki, Finland
- KATILOOPISTO GYNECOLOGICAL HOSPITAL OF HELSINKI Helsinki, Finland
- JORVHI OSPITAL
Surgical Resident, November 1977- October 1978
- “FIRST OF OCTOBER” UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL Madrid, Spain
Traumatology and Orthopaedics, October 1978- June 1979
- POHJOIS HAAGAN, YX
Magna Cum Laude, May 1970
- UNIVERSITY OF GRANADA
- FINNISH MEDICAL BOARD EXAMINATION for doctors who have studied abroad. August 1977
- DIPLOMATE OF THE AMERICAN BOARD OF ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY July 1990
- MINISTRY OF HEALTH (FINLAND)
Unrestricted license to practice medicine in Finland and all
of Scandinavia. License# 216663
- MINISTRY Of HEALTH (SPAIN)
Unrestricted license to practice medicine in Spain.
License# 7740 (Malaga)
- COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS
- MEDICAL BOARD OF CALIFORNIA
License# A 43233
- Established general orthopaedic practice in Glendale, California, in January 1987 with privileges of Glendale Memorial Hospital and Medical Center, Verdugo Hills Hospital and Glendale Adventist Medical Center.
- Started general orthopaedic practice in Malogo, Spain, from October 1996 to May
- Returned to general orthopaedic practice in Glendale, California, from June 1988 to September 2002.
- Joined Kaiser Permanente, Harbor City, California, beginning September 2002, and performed general orthopaedic, adult reconstructive and trauma surgery.
- Volunteered in Cuba with the American Arthroscopy Association organized by Dr. William Stetson.
Participated in multiple workshops regarding MIS and CAS as well as total joint surgery. Presented a talk at the Rocky Mountain Trauma Society meeting in Snowmass, Colorado, regarding my personal experience with CAS
- Visited with Dr. Joel Matta and Dr. Phillip Merrit in the O.R. to learn the hands-on anterior approach to the hip.
- Joined Pacific Orthopaedic Institute with Dr. Jeffrey Bogosian. Resigned from this group in December 2006 to spend more time with my family and to participate in volunteer work, e.g. Orthopaedic Overseas.
- Past Board Member, Glendale Memorial Hospital and Health Center, I.P.A. Past Surgical Committee Member, Glendale Memorial Hospital and Health Center.
- Fellow of American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Western Orthopaedic Association
- California Medical Association
- California Orthopaedic Association
- Los Angeles County Medical Association
Activities_Related To Orthopaedics While in Euroape
- Studied Exeter Hip Revision system at Orton Hospital in Helsinki under
Dr. Timo Paavilainen
- Cared for rheumatoid patients sent for rehabilitation by Swedish government to its rehabilitative facility, Curatus Girasol, Fuengirola, Spain. Assisted in surgery at a residency approved 1,200-bed Social Security hospital, Hospital Regional Carlos Haya, Malaga, Spain.
- Taught Physiology, Rheumatology, Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine to
physical therapy students at the Sports Massage Institute, Fuengirola, Spain.
- Wrote articles concerning orthopaedic issues for local English, Finnish and
Swedish magazines and newspapers.
- Discussed orthopaedic topics on monthly radio talk show on Onda Cero
International Radio in Marbella, Spain.
- Lectured to English, Finnish and Swedish retiree groups concerning orthopaedics.
To know more about Dr. Purne please visit www.mikaelpurnemd.com